Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The Rest of the Few Things (from the 90s)

It occurs to me that there are quite a few albums in my life that have been very important to me but that the general public may have missed out on. Some of these are out of print and only available if you can find them used online, in a used cd store, or through a friend who will make you a copy. Others of them are not out of print and may still be obtained at your local record shop.

1. Ephemere by Rose Blossom Punch

After the demise of Poor Old Lu, prolific producer Aaron Sprinkle got together with some friends to form Rose Blossom Punch. This, their only full length, was a truly amazing post grunge, late nineties, rock offering. It still stands as one of the musically strongest albums ever to emerge from the Christian market.

2. Hooray for Now by Viva Voce

Viva Voce to this day, is still making music and to this day, they refuse to acknowledge that this album ever existed. It's sad because I prefer this to any of their modern day music. This is another must have.

3. The Hunger by Seven Day Jesus

I really can't say enough about this band musically and lyrically. Honest, good, dudely... Another must have.

4. This Beautiful Mess by Sixpence None the Richer

Before "Kiss Me", before the hype, and before Tess left the band. In 1995 Sixpence played a show in my hometown at our fairgrounds. It was incredibly hot and I'm pretty sure multiple members of the band were sick. My church fed them spaghetti and Tess threw her guitar down and kicked it. This is the album they were touring on and I'm pretty sure it was their best.

5. Love is Against the Grain by Dimestore Prophets

Some of my favorite songs are on this album. The songs, "Baby's Got a New Dress" and "Hitler's Girlfriend" have been in my head for many years.


This concludes part one...

No comments: