Thursday, May 8, 2008

Violet Hill

So, in recent music news, Coldplay made their first single from their new album available for free on their website last week (I believe). It's called Violet Hill and is a bit of a change for the guys. It almost reminds me of a little Sunny Day Real Estate (in places due to the vocals being reminiscent of Jeremy Enigk).
I still need to dig deeper into it but as of the first listen and a half...I dig it. I think Coldplay, like U2 before them is one of those bands that in today's culture are making great music but it's unfortunately lost on our youth driven-fast excitement culture. They still sell millions of albums but most of the students in our local high schools probably prefer the latest jam from 50 cent or Panic at the Disco. It's a deeper audience that this music reaches out to... it looks for those interested in lyrical content and artistry...not just a "phat beat" and danceable hooks (not that there's anything wrong with that). Food for thought. I'm sure this same principal could be applyed to other points in culture...

Last night we had a pretty decent discussion about sin at youth group. If you're the praying type, pray for my students from Voltage. Pray they would take God at His Word and that their lives would explode with faithfulness, worship, and service.

No comments: